This week on Preaching and Preachers, Drs. Timothy George and Christian George join me in a discussion on the Great Preachers of Church History. Dr. Timothy George is the dean of Beeson Divinity School at Samford University and has been the dean since the school’s inception in 1988. Dr. Christian George serves as the curator of the C.H. Spurgeon Library and as assistant professor of historical theology at Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. He is also in the process of publishing the Lost Sermons of C. H. Spurgeon, A twelve volume project that will be releasing volumes yearly until the year 2023.Guest(s): Dr. Timothy George and Dr. Christian George
Some of the topics discussed on today’s episode include:
- The necessity of preaching in the ministry of the church.
- The nature of preaching found in the Bible.
- The relationship between preaching and courage.
- Lesser known great preachers throughout church history.
- The heralding nature of preaching.
- Great preachers from the Southern Baptist Convention.
The four great preachers discussed today were:
- John Chrysostom
- John Huss
- John Knox
- George Whitefield