This week on Preaching and Preachers, Dr. Christian George joins me in a discussion on the life and ministry of Charles Spurgeon, with emphasis on how he almost quit the ministry.Guest(s): Dr. Christian George
Dr. George is the curator of the Spurgeon Library at Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, where he also serves as an assistant professor of Church History.
Some of the topics discussed on today’s episode are:
- Why Dr. George was drawn to the life of Charles Spurgeon.
- Spurgeon’s strength through weakness.
- Spurgeon’s physical, emotional, and spiritual suffering.
- The disaster that almost ended Spurgeon’s ministry at age 22.
- Spurgeon’s revived ministry.
- The Downgrade controversy at the end of his life.
- Spurgeon’s attitude toward suffering.
- Spurgeon’s persistence in continuing to preach through controversy.
- How Spurgeon still speaks today.
One lesson that Pastors everywhere can take away from Charles Spurgeon:
- You don’t have to have the gifts and abilities of Charles Spurgeon, you just have to be faithful.