This week on Preaching and Preachers, Drs. Timothy George and Christian George join me in a discussion on why preachers should study church history.Guest(s): Timothy and Christian George
Dr. Timothy George is the father of Christian, and is the Dean and Professor of Divinity in History and Doctrine at Beeson Divinity School. Dr. Christian George is the curator of the Spurgeon Library at Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, where he also serves as an assistant professor of Church History.
Some of the topics discussed on today’s episode are:
- The importance of studying church history.
- The Christian’s spiritual genealogy unfolding throughout church history.
- The encouragement of studying church history.
- How studying church history ensures safe exegesis.
- How studying church history gives perspective.
- How studying church history gives inspiration.
- How studying church history gives momentum moving forward.
- How studying church history puts ministry struggles in context.
- Advice on becoming better church historians.
- The role of biographies in the life of the church historian.
- The role of texts, such as confessions, in the life of the church historian.
- The role of primary sources in the life of the church historian.
Subscribe on iTunes Subscribe on Stitcher Subscribe on RSS Feed