This week at jasonkallen.com I will be releasing a series of articles related to my inauguration as the fifth president of Midwestern Seminary. Today I am posting the script of my inaugural charge and investiture, which is a solemn pledge that I will make to the Midwestern Seminary Board of Trustees, who serve on behalf of the churches of the Southern Baptist Convention, and in the presence of the gathered witnesses at my inauguration service. Each aspect of the charge relates to my role as president of Midwestern Seminary, the character of life that must accompany one serving in such a role, and the vision and mission of Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary to exist For the Church.
1. Do you confess that you have repented of your sins, are trusting in Jesus Christ alone as your Savior, have been baptized in him by immersion, and are endeavoring to live for him as your Lord?
2. Do you resolve to live your life as a faithful gospel minister, above reproach, and in accordance with I Timothy 3:1–7?
3. Do you resolve to lead, serve, live & minister as president of Midwestern Seminary in a manner that honors the name of Christ and that helps fulfill his Great Commission?
4. Do you believe in accordance with and not contrary to the Baptist Faith & Message 2000, publicly affirm it without hesitation or mental reservation, and pledge to proclaim and defend it, especially within the academic program of Midwestern Seminary?
5. Do you pledge to keep faith with the churches of the Southern Baptist Convention, in both the letter and spirit of their expectations?
6. Do you pledge to give sacrificially of yourself to build Midwestern Seminary as an institution that exists For the Church and to train pastors, teachers and evangelists accordingly?
7. Do you pledge to guard your life and your doctrine, be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, and to fulfill your ministry as president of Midwestern Seminary?
Dr. Allen, I charge you these things in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom; therefore do you, by the grace of God, by the power of the Holy Spirit & in the presence of these many witnesses solemnly submit to and pledge to keep this inaugural charge?
Investiture into the Office of the Presidency
Dr. Allen, having been elected by the Board of Trustees of Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary & College Board of Trustees as the 5th president of the same, and having now received and affirmed your inaugural charge; as chairman, and on behalf of, the Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary Board of Trustees, and in representation of more than 45,000 churches of the Southern Baptist Convention, I now hereby invest and install you in the office of the president of Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary & College with all the rights, privileges and responsibilities appertaining thereto.